1. Lava Lamp
- Fill ¼ of a liter bottle with water of water. Add vegetable oil to the bottle until it is almost full.
- What happened when you poured the oil in with the water? Why does that happen?
- After the water and the oil have separated. Add ten drops of food coloring to the bottle. What will happen to the drops as they pass through the water and oil?
- Break an Alka-Seltzer tablet into several smaller pieces and add to the bottle. You know what these tablet are for but kids would not, talk about that. What do you think will happen to the mixture when the tablets are added?
- To get a real lava lamp experience shine a flashlight in the bottom of the bottle.
2. Water Beads
- How big will they get?
- Do they bounce?
- Do they stack?
- Estimate how many beads will fit in the containers
- Do they roll?
- Fill and dump containers of water beads.
- Sort the water beads.
- Describe and talk about how they feel and smell
3. Living Creatures
- Look at them with your eyes, can you name it and then check to see if you are correct.
- Look at them with a magnifying glass, what did you notice that you didn’t before?
- Shine a flashlight on them, notice anything else?
- Do you know what they eat?
- Have you seen one where you live?
- Are they dangerous?
4. Water Tension
- Put water in a bowl .
- Sprinkle pepper on top of the water
- Dip your finger in the water, what happens?
- Now put some soap of your finger and dip you finger in the water.
- What happened?
- Why do you think this happens?
- Estimate how many things can you find that are magnetic?
- Go on a scavenger hunt and find as many things as you can that are magnetic.
- Count them up, were you close, how many things did you find?
- Are all metals magnetic?
- Sort the objects that are magnetic from the items that are not.
6. Playing with Colors
- Look through the different color paddles one at a time .
- Put two color paddles together in different combinations.
- Shine a flashlight through the color paddles .
- Can you make orange?
- Can you make green?
- Look around the room what colors do you see?
- What color do you see the most of?
- Observe and Sort the shells.
- Look at the seashells with the magnifying glass.
- Talk about the seashells.
- Stack them up and make a seashell sculpture.
- Hold the seashells up to your ear.
- Can you hear anything?
- What do the seashells feel like?
- What do you know about seashells?
- What do you want to know about seashells?
8. Seeds in Fruits and Vegetables
- Do you think all of these fruits and vegetables have seeds in them?
- How many seeds do you think you will see?
- Are the seeds big or small, thin or fat?
- Do you eat the seeds?
- Where else do we find seeds?
- What color are the seeds?
- Lets find out, what should we do?
9. Raising Raisins
- What do you think will happen to the raisins?
- What are those things going up in the soda?
- What is happening to the raisins?
- What do you see on the raisins?
- I wonder what is making the raisins do that?
- Do you think other objects would do what the raisins did?
10. Dried Corn on the Cob
- How is this corn like the corn that you eat at home?
- How is this corn different?
- Can you pick the corn off the cob?
- What does the cob feel like?
- What do you think would happen if you soaked this corn in water?
- Do you think you can eat this corn?